As a member of our Guild freelancers unit (and members of other units of independent workers, including interpreters), you’re eligible to take advantage of dental, vision and health coverage, plus consumer savings, discounts, benefits, and education resources of the Union Plus program, including two weeks of FREE training on Lynda.com.
Members are eligible for contract advice, grievance assistance and career-related offerings, including job listings.
Our founding members are working to create a broad array of services and referrals to help members deal with the many hurdles that accompany self-employment, including:
• Job-search assistance
• Equipment insurance programs
• College and retirement savings
• Support with contract issues and payment disputes
• Protecting freelancers’ legislative interests in areas such as shield laws, bloggers rights, and antitrust issues for independent contractors
• Resource and referral directories
• Workshops and seminars on the business aspects of freelancing, including pitching, invoicing and preparing tax returns
Our members also share a passion for projects that establish journalistic standards and promote fair working conditions for freelancers, including:
• Issuing credentials to independent journalists
• Establishing a code of ethics for bloggers and online journalists
• Drafting a voluntary set of “fair freelance” and pay standards to promote to area media outlets (See “Activism”)